12/27/08

Scotch Pine Death - The Pine Borer Comes

Pine borer beetles continue to decimate pine trees across the midwest and beyond.  This magnificent big boy was located in a commercially developed area of the city (next to a car wash), in a space just wide enough for 4 tractor rows, on the last bit of farm ground some old farmer was still working over in this part of the city.  I bet this tree was 80 - 100 feet tall, and I measured a 12 foot circumference 5' above the ground.  I made a special trip with a tape measure to faun over this tree.   I had always admired the tree when I went through town, I could see the top of it a mile away from city streets.  One day I drove by and saw the tell tale signs - -  brown needles - - the borer had come.  I could not bring myself to drive by and see the tree, dying or dead, for months and months.  The borers can kill a tree in the space of a week.   Finally I did drive by and it had been cut down.  An important marker wiped out after witnessing how many years of changing seasons.   I'm sure there will be a parking lot.  On the day I photographed this tree, I took a pine cone home with me, tiny thing, barely an inch long.  

No comments:

Post a Comment